….Includes Tips “How to Build Muscle Mass Fast” – What you need to do to finally get that Hot Hollywood Body if you are Skinny –
It may not be a huge problem compared to overweight and obesity, but being underweight is a major issue to many people especially guys. Most people are struggling to lose pounds. But the truth is many men are also striving to gain extra pounds to build muscle mass.
Being slim does not always indicate you have a healthy and fit body. It can be a concern if your underweight body is a result of poor nutrition or if you have health issues.
If you are one of those people who lacks a significant number on the scale, you can do something about it. If there is a formula for losing weight, there is also one for gaining weight. But keep in mind that adding healthy weight and building muscle mass is a slow process. It can be as difficult as losing pounds. There is no quick change to accomplish this.
However, when it is done right, you can achieve results in the healthiest and fastest way.
Before you start with any weight-gain and muscle building program, there is one thing you should know – your ideal weight.
What is the ideal weight for you?
You may be surprised to know that the weight you thought is perfect for you is not the “ideal” after all. The body profile that you are aiming for may not be the healthiest choice for you.
Why is that?
A persons weight mainly depends on several factors such as age, height, and bone construction, not to mention your genes.
What does this mean in detail?
If you have always been thin since the time you can remember, chances are it runs in your family. It may be more difficult for a naturally slender person to put on some weight. But it does not entirely mean it is impossible. You may not achieve the bodybuilder built you are dreaming of, but at least you can add few more pounds on your scale and convert that into muscle mass.
How to find your ideal weight:
It is also essential to consider your age and height to answer our “ideal weight” question. Here’s how you can calculate your ideal weight. (Click on link in red)
Now that you have calculated your ideal weight and you believe you are underweight and need to add more muscle, here are some ways that may help you gain healthy weight and build muscle mass.
Consult your doctor. Before you begin with any nutrition or exercise program, always seek for professional medical advice. Being underweight may imply underlying health issues, which could be aggravated by your diet formula. Experts’ guidance is always the key to an effective and safe way of building muscle mass. Your doctor will determine if your weight-gain plan is healthy and appropriate for you.
Best Way to Gain Weight and How to Build Muscle Mass
1. Choose nutritious foods. Perhaps this is the most basic best way to gain weight that anybody can give you, whether your goal is to gain or loss weight. Being underweight is not an excuse to indulge to food with too much sugar, salt, and unhealthy fats. Good nutrition should be the paramount consideration in achieving your goal. To accelerate muscle growth, focus on consuming energy-dense and nutrient-rich foods to gain weight, such as fruits, dairy and nuts.
What to Eat to Gain Weight – List of Most Nutritious Foods
Healthy fats are Flax, Pumpkin or Olive oil. Pick your nutritious foods that you like most and include it in your daily meals.
2. Increase your Calorie intake but watch your Protein consumption. Weight gain requires eating calorie-packed and nutrient-rich foods. Most women would maintain weight at about 1,800 to 2,000 calories per day depending on how active they are. Most men would maintain weight at 2,500. You can use a calorie-tracking tool to figure out how much calories you normally consume. By increasing your calorie intake by 200 to 500 extra calories a day, you can achieve a healthy weight gain of half pound to a pound per week. To increase your calorie intake, make healthy choices such as whole-grain breads and cereals; fruits and vegetables; dairy products; lean protein sources; and nuts and seeds from the list above.
3. Watch the protein. Protein is essential in building muscle. Adequate protein intake can be achieved with a balanced diet. Be friendly with your protein-rich foods to gain weight such as lean meats, fish and poultry, eggs, fat-free milk, and legumes, but don’t go overboard. Experts say too much protein is unhealthy. How much is too much? It is more than 1.5 gram of protein per pound of your body weight. The general rule of thumb is you only need 0.8 to 1.5 gram of protein a day to build muscle and gain weight.
4. Keep a balance diet. Eat variety of meals. Though you should consume more calories than you burn, you must be very careful with your sources of calories. Prepare balanced, nutritious meals every day. To add mass but still look good, you need to have a balance combination of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Here’s a quick daily calorie guideline: 50 to 60 percent from carbohydrates, 15 to 20 percent from protein, and 25 to 30 percent from healthy fats.
5. Eat more often. Frequency is essential. This is another important strategy to gain weight. When you are underweight, you may feel full faster. Eat five to six smaller meals during the day rather than two or three large meals. Have your breakfast, lunch, dinner, and three other small meals at regular intervals throughout the day. Space them out evenly so you are eating every three to four hours. In addition, prepare a ready to consume meal immediately following your weight training workout. During this time, your body muscles are all set to absorb nutrients required for muscle growth. You can prepare healthy snacks such as fruit, yogurt, low-fat custard, milkshakes or liquid meal supplements.
6. Try smoothies and shakes. Ditch drinks with few calories from your diet. Instead, drink smoothies or healthy shakes made with milk and fresh juices. You can also add powdered skim milk to beverages to pump up calories and protein.
7. Change the way you prepare food. Make some modification in your cooking. For instance, you can add more calories in your food by frying using healthier oils such as olive, canola, or peanut oils. You can also introduce butter and milk to your diet to gain weight.
8. Stay away from fast foods and bad fats. Keep in mind that your goal is to gain healthy weight, not to gain fat. Avoid fast foods, candy, chips, cakes, and fried foods as much as possible. These are high in unhealthy saturated fat. Though your weight may increase so will your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Stay focused on achieving healthy weight gain. Add healthy fats to your diet to gain weight like almonds, walnuts, avocados, olive oil, fish oil, sunflower seed oil or flax seed oil.
9. Stay hydrated. Consume adequate fluids when you are trying to build muscle quickly. Why? Muscle is about 80 percent water. Dehydration causes muscles to shrink. Study found that when muscle cells are properly hydrated, protein production occurs at a higher rate than with dehydrated muscle cells. It is recommended drinking 20 ounces of water three hours before you hit the gym followed by 8 ounces more every 10 minutes while exercising.
10. Keep a journal. This is probably the most important step to gain weight besides your physical workout program. It monitors your calorie intake and also makes you be in control of your weight gain results. Many foods are high in calories. However, they are also packed with saturated fats, refined sugars, preservatives, and lack of needed nutrients. Put your daily meals broken down by each foods into a Food Calorie Calculator. Then write a list of healthy foods each with its calorie quantity. This is Your Personal Food Calorie Manual. Got it? Make another list with healthy foods you want to consume for each day that match your perfect daily total calorie intake.
(Meal Plan Sample MyFoodDiary)
Put your daily calorie intake on record. I found this great free tool with examples and a printable journal at BuiltLean.com. You can print the food journal and include your daily calories broken down by foods. Be accurate and consistent. Once you see results this is also a great motivator. It is vital that you track the amount of calories you have taken in daily. Break down each meal in its calorie quantity. If you are not consistent with this exercise you won’t see results no matter if you want to gain or lose weight. Tell a friend and family member about your new fitness program. Then ask them to send or show you your Food Journal every day.
If you don’t want to keep track of your calorie intake manually you also can use online tools such as CRONO-METER.
So, lets move on to my Lean Muscle Building Tips. This is also great for people who already have their ideal weight but want to get lean and build a body shape made of pure muscles.
How to Build Muscle Mass Fast – Exercise Tips
Your food intake is important in gaining weight while physical activities will help you build muscle mass. Strength training in particular is the best way to gain weight by building up your lean muscles. In addition, regular exercise may also increase your appetite.
11. Go for quality, not quantity. Keep your workouts short and intense rather than long and slow. Focus on the quality of your workout rather than how many repetitions you do to build more muscle. Use heavier weights that fatigue your muscles within six to 12 reps for the maximum muscle growth. Lift weights at a controlled speed; each set should last between 40 and 70 seconds for optimum muscle growth.
12. Take a break. It is true that you have to train to build muscle mass. But you also have to give your muscles some time to relax. Rigorous muscle training tears down muscle fibers. Rest is critical. It is during periods of rest that muscles could recover, repair, grow, and become stronger again. Muscles need 24 to 72 hours of rest between workouts.
13. Cut back on cardio. (This is for people who want to gain weight). Consider running away from your cardio routine and concentrate on strength training for the meantime. Cardio burns excess calories. But keep in mind that you need those excess calories to feed your muscle-building routine. If you love running or other forms of cardio exercises and don’t want to give them up just yet, try to limit your cardio rountine to 10 minutes or less per day. Anything more than that may jeopardize the muscle building you are trying to achieve.
14. Develop an exercise plan. Building lean muscle is more than just performing regular exercise. A balanced workout program should include exercises that will involve all the major muscle groups such as your chest, abdominals, biceps, triceps, legs and shoulders. It is important to avoid training the same muscle groups on consecutive days, hence the importance of a plan. Try training your full body two to three days a week with a full rest in between. You can include heavy resistance training in your plan for quick muscle building. Low repetition with heavy weights is how to build muscle mass rapidly.
Print out the Exercise Chart for each day you want to workout. Change Week on top left to Day. Fill in the form for each Training Day broken down by exercise. It is recommended to train 3 – 4 times a week for at least 40 min with 24h rest in between each training day.
How to Build Muscle Mass Fast – Types of Exercises
15. Do many multi-joint muscle exercises with heavy weights and little repetitions. Why? They work more muscle groups than isolated exercises. If you want to get lean muscle in a speedy way start focusing on those multi-joint muscle exercises:
- Bar Dips (shoulders, chest, arms)
- Overhead press (shoulders, triceps)
- Squats (legs, lower back)
- Pull-ups & barbell rows (back, biceps)
- Deadlifts (legs, back, shoulders)
- Bench press (chest, shoulders, triceps)
Write those multi-joint exercises I mentioned above on a list or on the back of your exercise chart you printed out. When you get to the gym, ask one of your gym buddies or a personal trainer to help you with the fitness plan that is most suitable to your fitness level. Let them show you each exercise and how to perform them the correct way. You might have to start with less weight in the first 4 weeks and then increase it consistently.
Performing the multi-joint muscle exercises with heavy weights are one of my “secrets” in order to build muscle mass fast.
16. Recruit a weight-gain buddy. Team up with someone that has the same goal as yours. Support is priceless and teaming up to reach your goal can aid you effectiveness.
17. Weigh in at least three times a week. This is to make sure you are making progress. Weigh yourself at least three times per week to see if you need adjustment in your weight-gain program. Write down the results.
18. Get enough sleep. When you sleep, your body increases its release of muscle-building hormones and reduces the levels of muscle-wasting hormones in your body. Try to have at least eight hours of sleep every night.
19. Accept lifestyle changes. There will definitely be lifestyle changes that you have to endure to achieve your goal of gaining weight and muscle. First, there will be changes in your eating habit. You have to consume more food in terms of quantity and frequency to meet the calorie goals that you need for building muscle mass. Second, you have to commit to weight-training exercises. If you have not been into strength training before, you may start in one program and forget about your usual routine of running or walking for now. Lastly, if you are smoking, this is also the time to quit. If you are trying to gain weight, smoking is a bad idea as it suppresses the appetite.
20. Be patient. You may find gaining weight effortless and you may achieve it quicker than building muscle mass. Don’t worry, it is normal. Building muscles really takes time. Just be patient and remain focused on your goal. One to two pounds of weight gain per week is considered to be reasonable and healthy. An additional inch in your biceps can serve as a motivation booster.
21. Avoid quick results. You may be tempted to try pills or other products that claim to increase muscle mass. Think again. More often than not, these claims are not scientifically proven hence not safe and healthy. Again, you don’t need to rush. You don’t have to resort to extremely restricted diets or marathon strength training sessions to achieve your goal. Take your time.
Sure, we are living in a society that is critical to physical attributes. Some people need to gain weight rather than lose it. It is definitaly possible for underweight guys to gain some pounds and get a more masculine body shape in less than 3 months. The secret to how to build muscle mass fast is “consistency”…
If you are skinny, just keep this in mind: (1) gaining weight is as hard as losing weight; (2) there are people who gain weight easier than others, (3) and there are several factors that may affect your weight-gain plan, such as health issues.
Visit your doctor to plan how you can gain weight and build muscle mass the healthy way. You may also consult a certified trainer for your exercise program and a nutritionist to help you customize a diet plan for your weight-gain diet program.
Question: What do you think about these Muscle Building Tips? I am curious and look forward to hear from you!!